Sunday, March 25, 2007

Pluto Having 1999 Flashbacks

Terry Pluto doesnt want to draft Brady Quinn:

• If the Browns draft Brady Quinn in the first round, I'll scream. There, I said it: I'll scream. OK, maybe not scream. I'll just mumble, ``What are they doing?'' And I'll wonder, ``Hasn't anyone learned anything in the eight years since the Browns came back?''

• This is not a knock on Quinn. With the right team, given time to develop, the Notre Dame product will probably, eventually become a decent pro. But this is not the right team, because of the problems on the line. It's not like Carson Palmer's situation. He had a reliable veteran in Jon Kitna to play ahead of him for a season in Cincinnati. Besides, Quinn is not as physically gifted as Palmer. He needs protection and strong coaching.

• It happens every year, right after the season: Fans want linemen. Closer to the draft, they want quarterbacks, running backs and receivers, in that order. It's as if they know they must lose weight, eat the veggies, fish and lean protein. But then they think: ``What I really want is a $100 gift certificate from Dairy Queen. That will make me feel better.''

No comments: